Welcome to 'The Cinema Review'

Hello fellow movie goers. I have gone through life reading endless movie reviews from various sources and I have come to the conclusion that I would like to have a bash at reviewing movies myself. Now, I understand that movie reviews are very subjective, and people's opinions on films are very different and no one person's opinion is more important than anothers, but perhaps a portion of you will find it somewhat interesting to know my own personal thoughts on the films I see. In addition to my reviews I will put up a series of articles and features. So here I present to you 'The Cinema Review', a place for me to voice my feelings on my no.1 passion - movies.







Friday 10 December 2010

'Unstoppable' Review


Oh Cinema, how happy I was to return to you. After nearly 3 weeks of the relentless Scottish snow preventing me from going to the cinema, I was ever so happy to make my long awaited return, and what a return it was. 'Unstoppable' is about a giant locomotive that leaves a train yard unmanned and gathers potentially catastrophic momentum, leaving an old-time driver and new to the job conductor (played by Denzel Washington and Chris Pine respectively) to attempt to stop the train before disaster strikes. On paper this movie sounds like garbage that we have seen before, but it is actually a hugely exciting and entertaining piece of cinema.

Directed by Tony Scott, 'Unstoppable' is an hour and a half of heart stopping excitement, and Scott does everything in his power to make this movie just so. Combining 'live TV coverage' of the impending disaster, a tension building score, Rosario Dawson intensely taking charge from a control room, loud train noises to emphasize the high speed/power, and Chris Pine and the remarkable Denzel Washington climbing on top of trains and jumping between them, whilst still moving. All in all this makes for an adrenaline rush of a movie. The sound editing also needs a notable mention here, as it is executed superbly adding another layer to the excitement.
The three lead performances in this movie are all very good, given the material. Rosario Dawson is extremely watchable as the assistant yardmaster, exuding confidence in this role. Every line is delivered in a way which just adds to the excitement. Denzel Washington is as good as ever, playing the modest hero, and Chris Pine is also good in this, showing he has a lot of promise in his acting future.

This movie may sound heavily cliched and very obvious, but even if it is, it does not matter! It is super exciting from very near the start, right to the end, so much so I was sat right up on the edge of my seat for the majority. I got so heavily into this movie, others probably found it laughable, but again I don't care when cinema is this immersive. This is entertainment in it's purest form, get some popcorn and go and enjoy this movie, I can't think of much more entertaining ways to spend and hour and a half.

Verdict:
5 Stars

1 comment: