Welcome to 'The Cinema Review'

Hello fellow movie goers. I have gone through life reading endless movie reviews from various sources and I have come to the conclusion that I would like to have a bash at reviewing movies myself. Now, I understand that movie reviews are very subjective, and people's opinions on films are very different and no one person's opinion is more important than anothers, but perhaps a portion of you will find it somewhat interesting to know my own personal thoughts on the films I see. In addition to my reviews I will put up a series of articles and features. So here I present to you 'The Cinema Review', a place for me to voice my feelings on my no.1 passion - movies.







Friday 3 December 2010

'Mrs. Doubtfire' : A Comedy Gem



'Mrs. Doubtfire' is my absolute favourite comedy of all time and it makes me laugh more than any other film I have ever seen. So here I give you 10 reasons why I think 'Mrs. Doubtfire' is the greatest comedy of all time:

  1. 'Mrs. Doubtfire' features Robin Williams at his funniest, playing one of the greatest comedy characters ever committed to film. Williams completely deserved his Golden Globe for this performance as he nails both the hilarious moments and the more serious and touching ones too. In this role he shows just how versatile an actor he is, in that he is playing someone pretending to be someone else, and he has such great control over his voice and his ability to alter it.
  2. 'Mrs. Doubtfire' is a film that can be watched by all ages, and is good, clean family fun at it's best. This movie can be enjoyed by absolutely everyone.
  3. It can make me laugh heartily every single time, all the way through. I find moments of this movie so funny that I even laugh talking about it to others or even just thinking about it, proving it as pure comedy gold.
  4. As well as being absolutely hilarious, 'Mrs. Doubtfire' has a serious side to it, dealing with important issues such as divorce and the importance of family, which is significant in particular to it's main target audience - families.
  5. Scenes within this movie are absolutely unforgettable. The most notable of these are the scenes which are particularly chaotic in nature. The tea making scene is one of the most memorable of these, in which Robin Williams' character Daniel is frantically running around trying to both make a cup of tea for a guest and try and find something to cover up his face in order to maintain his Mrs. Doubtfire identity, as his prosthetic face has fallen from a window ledge and been run over on the road below. The pace of this scene has a snowball effect creating the audience to laugh more and more as things get worse, then the climax of opting for the cake to conceal his identity is uproariously funny. Also, the scene where Mrs. Doubtfire's fake breasts catch fire whilst cooking is also tremendously funny, the image her banging pan lids off her chest to distinguish the flames is unforgettable.
  6. The relationship between the character's of Mrs. Doubtfire and Stu, played by Pierce Brosnan, is brilliantly executed. As Daniel is jealous of Stu, he is free to be nasty to him through the disguise of Mrs. Doubtfire, as nobody can lose respect the 'nice old housekeeper'. The snide comments are delivered perfectly by Williams, where Mrs. Doubtfire makes digs at things like Stu's tan, car and lifestyle. There is perhaps not a funnier notion that that of Robin Williams in drag throwing a lime at the back of Pierce Brosnan's head at a private pool club, then blaming it on an 'angry member of the kitchen staff' taking part in a 'run-by fruiting', this is brilliant comedy writing.
  7. Sally Field is wonderful as per usual in this role, as the mother. She plays a character you can empathise with, as she is only trying to do what she believes is right for her kids. Although in a less obvious way as that of Robin Williams, she proves that she can be funny too, playing the embarrassing and awkward moments superbly.
  8. The brilliant soundtrack is so well used in this film, with the songs used always being relevant to the situation, using tracks such as James Brown's 'Papa's got a brand new bag'  and Frank Sinatra's 'Luck be a lady', which are both relevant to the story. The most memorable song choice in the movie is Aerosmith's 'Dude (looks like a lady)' which is played over scenes of Mrs. Doubtfire dancing with a vacuum cleaner, utter perfection in terms of music choice.
  9. The movie has an uncliched ending, but is still a happy one. This is unique as movies of this nature would normally opt for the fairytale ending, however this movie remains grounded in reality, and therefore it works out to be most effective and poignant.
  10. 'Mrs Doubtfire' has more re-watch value than most others I can think of, so much so that many of my friends are probably sick of the fact I opt to watch it over and over again, laughing over most of it.
So there you have it, 10 reasons why I think 'Mrs. Doubtfire' is the best comedy of all time. So if you have never seen 'Mrs. Doubtfire' before, I beg you to go and watch it, and if you have, go watch it again!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I've been trying to subscribe to your blog, but blogspot keeps giving me errors. Do you have it set up so people can follow? I really enjoy these extra posts you have like the snow movies and the upcomming ones. Can't wait for 127 Hours!

    ReplyDelete